A Tasty Alternative to Fish Patties
One of the recipes on this site that seems to get the most visitors is my Sri Lankan fish patties recipe. I’m happy this recipe is so well-received by my readers around the world. For the holidays I would like to introduce another Sri Lankan patties recipe: Chicken patties.
As I mentioned in the introduction to my fish patties recipe, patties came to Sri Lanka through British colonists and have been one of the island’s most popular short eats ever since. Chicken patties are usually reserved for special occasions like birthdays, anniversary parties and holidays. I’ve been making chicken patties every Christmas and it’s always one of our guests’ favorites.
Preparing chicken patties isn’t very different from preparing fish patties. The main difference really is that we use boiled chicken breast instead of tuna.
For the filling:
250 g baked chicken breast
1 large onion
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 green chili pepper
1 tsp chicken soup powder
5-6 curry leaves (karapincha)
1 medium potato, boiled
salt to taste
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp lemon juice
For the dough:
2 cups of flour
2 pinches of salt
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Preparing the dough:
1. Mix flour, egg, oil and salt in a bowl. Slowly add water while kneading the dough until it’s smooth and doesn’t stick.
2. Form the dough into small balls, about 1 1/2 diameter each.
Preparing the filling:
- Boil the chicken breast in a small pot with half a cup of water, a quarter tea spoon of salt, a tea spoon of chicken soup powder, three pinches of red bell pepper and two pinches of black pepper. Let it boil on medium flame until the water has evaporated.
- Let it cool down and mash it into small pieces with your hands.
- Cut the onions, habanero pepper and curry leaves separately into small pieces.
- Boil and mash the potato.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the onion pieces.
- Fry the onion on medium fire for 3 minutes.
- Add curry leaves and habanero pepper, fry for 5 minutes until the onion is light brown.
- Add the chicken you prepared in steps 1 and 2 to the pan and stir it well, until the chicken is in small pieces. Cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add lemon juice and stir well.
- Turn off the fire, add the mashed potato and mix it very well.
Making the patties:
1. Flatten the dough balls and put one table spoon of filling on each one.
2. Fold and use a fork to close the patties.
3. Bake the patties for 20 minutes in a preaheated oven at 180 C (350 F) until the patties are light brown.